I understand that many women in the throes of infertility are deeply irritated by the phrase "it only takes one." For me, "it only takes one" is a mantra that allows me to consider the possibility that I will win the baby lottery. The reality is that while one egg and one sperm do a baby make, it may never do so for me, and I have no control over whether it does. At 39 1/2 I am fully aware that my window for conception narrows every day. Honestly, I never thought I'd be in this position (who does, right?) but I happen to have good insurance and a top-notch clinic right down the street and when I realized how important it was to my husband to do everything possible to try to have a child that shared our genes, I shrugged and said I would try. Somehow in just six months we seem to have become deeply entrenched in a process that I know is more likely to fail than to succeed. And while I won't say that I'm ok with it, I do understand that the outcome is as out of my control as it is for any woman. Money and medical treatment can only increase my odds of getting pregnant by a small percentage, and in the end it will come down to a random collision of two cells that triggers a cascade of biological events that has the potential of resulting in a baby. Right now, it's enough hope to get me by.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think it's completely different when it's the thing that you tell yourself that helps you get through it. And it's also different if the people around you *know* that it's the thing that helps you cope.
ReplyDeleteBut for me, it's hard to hear when it's said as an answer to all of the things that haven't been going right. It *does* only take one. But when it's said in a dismissive way as if I have no right to be worried or frustrated about the other things going wrong in my cycle, it smarts a little. Sometimes a lot.
I think it's all about context. There is definitely some comfort in knowing, ultimately, that it only takes one. It's just I want it to be on MY terms.
I hope that your journey into IVF is a short, and easy one (as easy as any such journey is).
Wow, what a refreshing way to look at ONE...I think I will keep your idea in the forefront of my mind during the coming days.
ReplyDeleteWishing you the absolute best ONE for your upcoming cycle :)